8/17/2009

September 26th: Plans

Hello all,

The 26th is inching forward, so I am beginning my draft plans, and Westjet tickets to Calgary have just crept into the double-digits, so I will shortly be booking my flights. (I'm on this incredible money management system called "don't-carry-your-credit-cards-with-you" which is actually working wonders for my debt repayment success rate. But it means I can't actually book the flight until I get home.

Anyway, just so I am prepared...

1) What are pool fees this year, and who can I send the money to?

2) What are the plans for lunch this year (and do I need to send money to anyone in advance)

3) I'd really like to get a good steak dinner while I'm in Calgary. We have bar food and "The Keg" in Toronto (although, oddly enough we don't have dry fried ribs... except at Swiss Chalet where they aren't as nice as I remember them from Alberta... but I digress.) so: Where should I go for a good steak dinner in Calgary, and does anyone else want to come with me?

(And I'll up the ante for #3, I've had the privelege of eating some fine aged organic Ontario steaks. Fabulous, fabulous steaks they are. So good, in fact, I find it hard to believe that Alberta cattle can be as tasty. So: I'm willing to buy a round of drinks for the table if someone can recommend a steakhouse that will prove me wrong.)

See you in 47 days...

Richard
GM of the Lost Boys

6 comments:

Cameron said...

I won't be in attendance (sadly - or not, its because Haidee may give birth at any moment around that time), but I can recommend Billy Miner's for steaks.

So. Good.

I'm also sure you won't have trouble finding takers for steaks on game-day. Indeed, it has the makings of a fine tradition.

Bladerunner said...

Hey there,

Glad you are visiting Richard (and sorry Cam that you aren't but its for a very happy reason!)

Payments for pool ($20) and for any food can just be made in person - don't need to send anything in advance.

As to a steak place - well, Billy Miner's has had about 3 name changes in the past 15+ years ... not sure name now or if it has good steaks.

The Kegs here are always good too -but if you want something else then there are a couple of famous steak restaurants called Hy's and Caesar's. A little higher end price wise + I haven't been to either for years but I'm sure both are still good and ok to splurge once in awhile (and hey, FUNHL get together's in top 10 list of reason's to splurge ;-) Otherwise, the Chop House is suppposed to be good but I've never been - maybe a fellow GM has further opinion on this. To sum up though - I'd be happy to go out for steak anywhere.

Scourge said...

Havent been to Caesars in years... Darrel and I used to go there for christmas dinner and it was soooo good...

Never been to Hys but i hear its the best...

wildwolf said...

I used to get my beef directly from my uncles cattle farm in Alberta and nothing has ever topped in taste when prepare correctly. Sadly he passed away and the herd had to be sold.

Douglas McLachlan said...

Hockey followed by steak and, presumably, poker.

Sounds like a great time to me - count me in.

Red Five said...

As Denis Leary put it, "eating meat is an INSTINCT!"

Caesar's and Hy's have fallen way out of favour with me as far as steak goes, and have only been to the Chophouse once.

I am a regular client of the South location of the Cattle Baron (MUCH better than the North partner) and have been very, very pleased. On the very rare occasion when the steak has not been prepared as ordered, they have fixed it immediately. Also, for those who like it that way, they understand what "blue rare" means.

For steak and seafood fans, their Filet Neptune is great, and the filet melts like butter. For those who like a more flavourful (but slightly less butter-like) steak, I highly recommend the Cowboy Cut - a massive, bone-in Rib-Eye marbled to perfection.

Not sure where the draft and poker are slated to happen, but if they are at all in proximity to the south Cattle Baron I highly recommend it...