7/15/2010

Note from the Lost Boys

Hi all,

I had dinner with Bob last night, and he said it might be useful if I piped up about my current intentions--clear the air of any opaque rumours or gossip that might be floating around about me or my plans.

First, I have asked for a year off. I need a sabbatical. It is just not possible, when I look at what is coming up in my life between now and April 2010 that it will be possible for Hockey to compete with many, many other priorities.

What are my intents for the 2011 season? I don't know. I really don't know what my life will be like in 15 months.

It is perhaps worth saying... Hockey is a curiosity for me, not an obsession. I follow the economics of it much more than the on ice details, which means the entry draft is the highlight of my season. Getting to Calgary to see you guys is a highlight of my year. Paying attention to the details of hockey beyond that is a challenge for me.

It is further worth emphasizing, that for me, the FUNHL is largely about you guys. Hearing about your families, your lives, your exploits, your thoughts... that's why I do it. You're a curious bunch, with the virtues of being lively and entertaining, and though a $500 trip away, well worth keeping contact with.

To get back to where I started... this is why I've asked for a year off instead of quitting outright. It wouldn't have been difficult to quit. I'll be upfront and, perhaps rashly, confess I considered it.

But the FUNHL--really: you guys--is not an aspect of my life as it is/has existed that I am ready to close the door on. Something inside me just won't let it go, and I've learned to listen to that small voice when it speaks ("and then Pinocchio stomped on the cricket.") I'm not ready to give up.

So, with all sincerity, I would suggest looking for a GM who will be a good fit in the FUNHL, whatever that may mean to you, to take over the Lost Boys for next year. It is my intent to be here on the blog, following the league when I have the chance, and being happy to not be pressured with trades and lineups and all that.

As for what the league is going to do in 2011 when my year off is done. I would suggest taking this one step at a time, summer of 2011 is still quite a ways off. You need someone to manage the Lost Boys Franchise before October, which is coming up soon. If you have filtered for someone who makes the FUNHL a fun place for you to hold on to my franchise this year... then the options available to you in 12 months when/if I come back will be much more appealing and interesting.

Richard.

1 comment:

Douglas McLachlan said...

Just to be clear on my sentiments, I really enjoy your company in the pool or not.