7/26/2010

Rule Change Proposal #4

I propose that we improve the value of RFA status by allowing a GM holding rights to an RFA to match with any available FP replacement pick or the first available non-FP replacement pick, at his or her discretion.

Example:

Take for instance the situation involving the Great Whites in this upcoming draft. In all likelihood they desire to draft Mike Green (rfa) as their new FP. If any other team attempts to draft Paul Stastny (rfa) before the end of the 1st round, the GW will have to pass on Stastny in order to ensure they get the proper FP. While some people might believe that this is a fun tactical consideration, I think it is a matter of adding insult to the already punitive cost of replacing an FP. I believe that greater flexibility with RFAs should be given to a GM who is already paying the price of replacing an FP.

Rationale:

FP replacement is already prohibitively expensive. Let's not make it worse than it has to be.

6 comments:

wildwolf said...

I like this minor tweek to the system.

Cameron said...

The 'I want to have my cake and eat it too' proposal.

Speaking aso eons who lost RFA Luongo to Bob because I was making Heatley an FP, I vastly prefer our current system.

If Dan prefers Green to Stastny but someone else prefers the reverse, or whether he is just getting snookered, Dan can take preemptive actions to avoid the problem (i.e. trade Stastny). It's not like he can't see the possibility coming!

Cameron said...

That should read 'speaking as someone'

Red Five said...

To clarify - the situation you describe is not an issue if someone wants to draft Stastny before the end of round one. It's an issue ONLY if someone wants to bid on (read "draft") Stastny BEFORE Green. If the first bid out of the hat is on Green, it doesn't matter when Stastny is bid on if it is after that. Then I just have to decide whether to use my 2nd pick on Stastny...

Would you like to make me an offer on Stastny?

Darwin's surprise said...

I prefer to call it the 'I've already paid retail for the buffet, go get your own cake' proposal.

And yes Dan, I think I might.

Cameron said...

And we now have the perfect example for why the rules are better as written; if we accept this proposal there is no incentive for Dan to make a trade, but as the rules exist Dan could lose Stastny for nothing, and hence there is the greater likelihood of a deal coming about.