9/08/2008

FUNHL Site Changes

As I mentioned a few months back I've been making changes to the FUNHL site in the hopes of improving its utility for everyone.

First, I have added a bunch of blogs to our blog roll, in particular I encourage everyone who craves a daily fix of hockey information to check out; 'Illegal Curve' and 'James Mirtle'. Illegal Curve is a group of guys (students?) at the University of Manitoba who make frequent daily postings on hockey related items of all sorts - its good stuff.

Mirtle is my favourite hockey blogger and has ties to the Globe and Mail, as well as to the Oilogosphere (which is HUGE), so he has a vibrant and lively blog with an equally vibrant and lively group of commenters.

I've also added blogs like 'Puck Daddy' and 'Melt Your Face Off' for their pure entertainment value, and the blog like 'Five Hole Fanatics' because it covers the Flames in depth.

Personally the all-round best blog is probably 'Lowetide' - and I say this as someone who can't stand the Oilers, but it is so well written that I can't stay away for long.

If you have other recommendations to make please do so, as I can always make the blog-roll longer.

Well that covers some of the new blogs, but some of you may have noticed that if you click on the link for 'FUNHL MASTER' at the Top Right hand corner of the FUNHL Blog you will access an on-line version of our Master list!

Unfortunately, this document needs to be updated in Google Docs for it to remain useful (Brian? Dan? DC members? Stats guy?) - the good news is that updating it is rather easily done. All I need is few minutes of time with whomever this task is currently assigned to teach them how to update this link and we can all access an updated master from the blog whenever we wish. If done once a week it eliminates the need for constantly sending out a new Excel file. If nobody (other than me) cares I'll get rid of it.

However, given that the Waiver Wire posting appears to be a failure (it wasn't updated by anyone past week 7 last year) and given that the trade tracker was similarly little used I am deleting them. If anyone wishes me to I can add them back in at a later date.

Also, you may note that I have dropped the list of GMs from the sidebar. I did this because;

A. It was taking up key visual space on the blog, and
B. I figured we knew who the other members of the FUNHL are by now.

Last but not least, you may notice that I have adjusted the look of the blog a little. Please let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Douglas McLachlan said...

Cam,

Love the changes and love seeing Dion (though not as much as Rob, I'm sure) at the top.

Red Five said...

Sadly the WW died out, though we will need to determine who is responsible for maintaining it this year, in addition to filling the statskeeper job (which we should do at least a week before the ED)

As for the Master, good thing to have, but it would be nice if it can retain the other formatting like colour for RFAs, not to mention it isn't actually the current master.

Perhaps Brian can maintain this since he always keeps us current via email with the master anyway, but I won't speak for him on that...

We DO need the templates for the ED and PrD close to the ED date (to minimize last minute changes from trades)

Also if anyone has an Excel list of players by current position according to the new bible that they wish to share, some of us would be most grateful...

:-)

Bladerunner said...

I'd be happy to continue as the 'unofficial keeper of the master' and as such, try to maintain a current master on this website. Re. stats keeping - I am unable to offer my services for this season. I did make a comment to Doug that if we don't have a statskeeper, then each GM should be responsible for doing stats at least 2 weeks each season.

Bladerunner said...

Also - I love the changes too although certainly don't have the time to read each of the many, many hockey sites out there!