8/17/2007

It has begun...

The Hockey News' Ultimate Pool Guide hit the stands this week (Sid the Kid has thier top rank with a prediction of 128pts - I'll just take the trophy now and we can all reconvene next September if you like :-)). While frequently mocked for its off the wall predictions and short player commentary its a guide that, inexplicably, always performed well in my post-season guide accuracy analysis.

I'll hold off on making any position observations as the UPG is never exactly the same as the Bible, which should now be out in the next week or so, and there is no point in getting excited about P.Demitra, P.Kessel, A.Radulov, T.Ruutu or R.Nilsson's move to left; K.Tkachuk, M.Comrie, J.Carter and M.Frolik's move to center; or G.Brule's move to right. The "real" positions will be known soon enough.

Still, its nice to start the "my list" vs "their list" comparisons.

BTW the glossy and inexplicable guide that Cam slammed last year (name escapes me) is also out. I too would avoid it.

2 comments:

Cameron said...

I picked mine up yesterday on my way back from Moosejaw. Unlike previous years there weren't that many controversial changes. Tkachuk to centre is probably the only one that bothers me (he only played centre for the few games he was in Atlanta), with the Frolic move being the only move to directly affect the Heads.

I also noticed that the point projections seem to be more reasonable than years past!

Just a reminder to everyone that the positions listed at the front of the book (team rosters) tend to be accurate, while the positions listed in the alphabetical section can be wildly inaccurate.

Douglas McLachlan said...

When it comes to position, I would simply hold off a week or so and get the official word from the Bible.