1/10/2011

World Juniors in Calgary!! Respond ASAP!



Hey all!

As you may know, the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship this year (Dec 2011/Jan 2012) are being held in Calgary and Edmonton. Specific dates are December 26, 2011 to January 5, 2012. There was a lottery for the privilege of being able to buy tickets to this event, and I am happy to relate that I was successful!

Here is the challenge:
The Calgary games are sold by seat for a 21 game package, which includes:
The gold medal game, bronze medal game, semifinals, quarter-finals, 10 preliminary round games and relegation games

There are three price levels for the 21-game ticket package in Calgary:
$1,299.00 CDN per seat for 100 level seats (includes first four rows of 200 level)
$999.00 CDN per seat for 200 level seats
$399.00 CDN per seat for 300 level seats

So for 100/prime 200 level seats, assuming either 2 or 4 ticket/seat packages, the total cost will be either $2600 or $5200. For regular 200 level seats it would be $2000 and $4000 respectively.

If we round off to 20 games for simplicity, that means that prime seating for a single game would be $130 for 2, or $260 for 4 ($65/seat)
If we calculate on the middle price tier, for a single game, $100 for 2 seats, $200 for 4 ($50/seat)

If we go with nosebleeds, the total is much easier to swallow at roughly $40 for 2 seats, $80 for 4 ($20/seat) but you are still in the nosebleeds :-(

As I understand it, you have to decide on one price range and one quantity of tickets, which you then get for all 21 games outlined above.

Ironically, I will likely be away for all but the last few days of the tournament, not to mention I can't handle the price of tickets on my own anyway.

SO WHAT I NEED TO KNOW FROM YOU:
- Are you interested in tickets and willing to share in the cost of buying them?
- What quantity (2 or 4) and price range ($20, $50, $65 per seat) are you interested in?
- As the lucky lottery winner I will likely put dibs on the gold medal game tix (esp. as I may not be in town for anything else!) but any others are up for grabs, and I'm quite willing to discuss options - my initial inclination is either a lottery among those of you wanting to buy as to which game you get, or giving first choice to whoever buys the most tickets and so on - depending on interest

Note that I need a firm commitment by noon Wednesday (!) to decide what if anything to purchase! Please email me or comment below ASAP!

Dan

4 comments:

Red Five said...

Please reply ASAP

The Edge said...

hey dan, discussed this with Colleen. If nosebleeds, would be willing to take up to 10 games, 2 seats per game, with at least a couple of Canada games in there, and perhaps the bronze medal game. Would be willing to take all three games in one day as well, to make it a full day. If the 200 level tickets, would only be able to take up to 4 games.

Cameron said...

Hey Dan,

I was correct in my concern that next X-mas is in Vancouver for us, so I won't be able to attend.

I would recommend that you consider purchasing the maximum amount of tix in the best possible location.

Then sell your unused tix on Kijiji or Craigslist and you should be able to make back your investment + perhaps pay for a hotdog or three.

Just a thought...

Moriarty said...

I would certainly love to come down and watch a couple Canada games, bronze and gold as well...but uncertain of prices and who else is attending. If Collin and Colleen is willing to lump me in with them to see games then, i need 1 seat per game with them at 300 level or 200 level based on their choice. If you re in for the Gold-Medal game at the 200 or 300 level count me as an extra seat so i going with someone...hopefully, that's helpful ok by you.